Lots going on, no time to write …
1. She was sleeping well, then she wasn’t, then she was, then she wasn’t again. Last night was worst of all, culminating in Preston getting kicked out to the couch and Maddie and I sleeping in the big bed. Bad, bad night for all.
2. We are on poop patrol. Because she seems a little backed up. She is pooping and the doctor isn’t worried, but she’s not pooping much and its a little dry. We are giving her a little water, so we’ll see. I never thought I’d be so interested in someone else’s poop issues.
3. Maddie has expanded her repertoire of solid foods to include peas, sweet potatoes and apples. So far, she loves everything we put in front of her.
4. When this piece of the breast pump falls to the bottom of the dishwasher it melts into an abstract sculpture. Needless to say that sculpture, while cool looking, isn’t helpful in pumping breastmilk.
5. How we can go to Target to buy aforementioned breast pump piece, which retails for $9.99 for two, and walk out having spent $155 is a mystery to me.
I’m currently reading The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan. It’s about the American food system and it is quite fascinating, if a bit disheartening.
But I was most struck by this little tidbit:
“I learned, for example, that some (certainly not all) organic milk comes from factory farms, where thousands of Holsteins that never encounter a blade of grass spend their days … eating (certified organic) grain and tethered to milking machines three times a day.”
Sounds remarkably like my days in the office.
We had a very nice Mother’s Day. Maddie woke us up at 6 a.m. — all the better to spend more time with us! She gave me her gift — a lovely pair of pink topaz earrings. I think Daddy might have helped her pick them out.
It was a gorgeous day here in New York, so we headed to the park. I took Maddie on the swings …
And Daddy took her on the slide …
We then went to lunch and Maddie took a nap in her stroller. Later at home we had some tummy time and I got this great shot. …
Then Preston cooked up a yummy dinner.
All in all a very nice first Mother’s Day.
Many more photos from today are up in the usual spot on Picasa.